GIS database of any utility company consists of spatial and non-spatial data. Spatial information provides the lay-out of lines and the non-spatial information is about the details of the components. Smart Grid has the capability to map the underground assets and a complete solution can be provided with below services:
- 1. Segregation of distribution network in different layers based on components such as transformer layer, substation layer, main-supply layer, poles layer etc.
- 2. Generation of these layers in GIS software and merging with GIS database.
- 3. Mapping of spatial Lines and updating the database with these mapped coordinates.
- 4. Consideration of each network component as a node to map their position and uploading in the database.
The spatial information is gathered by using Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) Survey for the underground and over-ground asset information like cables, pipes, transformer, substation etc.
The non-spatial information shall be from the client. Both of these information then be integrated into the database to map the overall assets. The overall information can be accessed through dashboard.
GPR survey comes under the Subsurface Utility Engineering (SUE) survey consisting A to D Quality Levels and SUE follows ASCE-38-02 standard. A properly planned and executed SUE investigation provides many benefits to the project owner including fewer project delays and lower overall project costs. Having reliable utility information allows the project designers to make informed decisions resulting in the following potential benefits:
- Better planning and preparedness for project.
- Increased speed for project implementation.
- Reduction in project implementation cost.
- Reduced damages to unexpected utilities and thus claims from utility owners.
- Enhanced safety.
- Helping to prepare the GIS platform for known and unknown utilities that can be shared by various departments.
SUE survey detects the underground electricity cable up to depth of 5 meter through the route walk, chainage marking, Differential Global Positioning Systems Survey, Total Station Survey, basemap creation, GPR Survey, GPR Data Processing, EPL Survey, Background data collection and AutoCAD Drawing Generation.